Rafael Nadal joins Naomi Osaka in expressing concerns about playing at Tokyo Olympics

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on reddit
Share on pinterest

Rafael Nadal has raised doubts about his participation in this year’s Tokyo Olympics amid the Covid-19 pandemic, saying that he cannot give a clear answer until he organizes his schedule for the year.

Tokyo 2020: Rafael Nadal casts doubts over Olympic participation. (Reuters Photo)

Tokyo 2020: Rafael Nadal casts doubts over Olympic participation. (Reuters Photo)

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Nadal has raised doubts about his participation in Tokyo Olympics amid Covid-19 pandemic
  • Nadal won a singles gold in Beijing 2008 and added a doubles title in Rio de Janeiro 2016
  • In a normal world I will never think about missing Olympics: Rafael Nadal

Two-time Olympic champion Rafael Nadal on Tuesday admitted that he had not yet decided whether he will participate in the Tokyo Games this summer, still giving himself time to decide according to “circumstances”.

Japan has extended a state of emergency in Tokyo and three other areas until the end of May as the country battles a surge in Covid-19 cases, raising new questions about whether the rescheduled July 23-Aug. 8 Games should go ahead.

“I don’t know yet. Honestly, I can’t give you a clear answer because I don’t know. I don’t know my calendar,” Nadal told a news conference at the Rome Masters.

“In a normal world I’ll never think about missing Olympics. There’s no doubt about that. Everybody knows how important it has been for me to always play in the Olympics.

“Under these circumstances, I don’t know. Let’s see what’s going on in the next couple of months. I need to organize my schedule… In a normal year, I know my schedule almost 100% from Jan. 1 until the end of the season.”

Japan’s top-ranked men’s and women’s players – Kei Nishikori and Naomi Osaka – have raised concerns about staging the Games amid the pandemic.

“This year is a bit different, no? We need to be flexible. We need to adapt to things that are happening,” Nadal said.

The 20-times Grand Slam champion, who was beaten in straight sets by Alexander Zverev in last week’s Madrid Open, opens his Rome Masters campaign against local favourite Jannik Sinner on Wednesday.

“… Tomorrow is going to be a tough start, one of the toughest possible against Sinner,” Nadal said.

Click here for IndiaToday.in’s complete coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.

Source link